International Nurses Day (IND) is an international day observed around the world on 12 May (the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth) of each year, to mark the contributions that nurses make to society
The International Council of Nurses (ICN) has celebrated this day since 1965.
In 1953 Dorothy Sutherland, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, proposed that President Dwight D. Eisenhower proclaim a “Nurses’ Day”; he did not approve it.
In January 1974, 12 May was chosen to celebrate the day as it is the anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. Each year, ICN prepares and distributes the International Nurses’ Day Kit. The kit contains educational and public information materials, for use by nurses everywhere.
As of 1998, 8 May was designated as annual National Student Nurses’ Day.
You can add a Nurse Week Profile frame from the Camera Effects Platform to your profile picture. #proudtobeanurse
To add a Nurse Week frame to your profile picture:
- Go to the profile picture frame feature
- Click on the menu right of your profile picture
- Search for: “Nurse”, “Nurse Day”, “IND“, “International Nurse Week” or “Proud to be a Nurse“
- Select the profile picture frame you would like to add
- Click Use as Profile Picture to save